Saturday, February 13, 2010

Keeping Secrets

I keep wondering why it's so difficult for me to blog sometimes. I get these ideas floating inside my head, but when I sit down to write, I freeze. I think the reason is cultural and generational.

In Ghana, you don't go on Oprah and pour out your secrets. Your relatives are liable to berate you and your friends shun you. In the history of Ghana, only one writer, Francis Selormey, has written a coming of age memoir and that was when I was in elementary school. He writes about growing up with a rather enigmatic and harsh father. The book was beautifully written though, and we came to see the father's love, even if we didn't understand him. Oh, people have written personal essays here and there, but not a full, tell-all memoir. Indeed, Meri Nana Ama Danquah, a Ghanaian writer, has written a memoir about a black woman's journey through depression. But Nana Ama grew up in America and has learned to be open about her feelings. And now, I've written a coming of age memoir. I even talk about sexual discovery; heaven help me! Hopefully, I can hide behind the fact that hardly anyone will know me or bump into me.

6 comments:

  1. And, I happen to love that memoir that you wrote.

    ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Ann! I've been terribly busy editing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your memoir, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could rub out my words too - but my fear isn't cultural or generational. I'm just shy and private. Something that isn't normal, apparently, and surely doesn't help with getting published. ;)

    Corra

    from the desk of a writer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yes, Corra, you're right. After this, I'm sticking to fiction! Thanks again. You always have something wonderful to say.

    ReplyDelete